Display Hidden Files Using FileZilla – aka FireZilla

FileZilla, which is frequently referred to as FireZilla, is a really nice free FTP utility. If you have not used it, it really does deserve a test drive because its features easily compare to paid FTP utilities, such as CuteFTP and WS_FTP.

You can find FileZilla here:

Download FileZilla from SourceForge.net

The default installation of FileZilla, like most FTP utilities, does not display hidden files such as the Linux and Unix .htaccess file. Enabling the viewing of hidden files with FileZilla is pretty simple, but not very obvious. After starting FileZilla 2.x, select the View menu at the top and then select Show Hidden Files. In FileZilla 3.x it was moved to Server and then select Force showing hidden files.

Version 2.x – View > Show hidden files

Version 3.x – Server > Force showing hidden files

That’s all there is to it! You should now be able to see hidden files on your server when using FileZilla. :D

BTW, FileZilla is frequently referred to as FireZilla. They are one and the same.

Comments

1. Tim says

Too Funny! I’ve wondered how to show hidden files for months and never really looked into it. Who would’a thought it could be so easy…

Thanks for the info!

Tim

2. Rex says

This isn’t available to me. I have the latest updates for Filezilla, but there is no “Show Hidden Files” in the “View dropdown. HELP!

3. ander says

I’m using FZ v3.0.11 (currently the newest), and its View menu has no such command.

Some other docs I’ve seen show the “Show Hidden Files” option in Settings > Interface. 3.0.11 doesn’t have it there either.

4. TE says

Hi ander

Thanks for posting the answer. I’ve been swamped with projects and have not had the time to install and test version 3.

5. Mariage Israel says

In v3.0.6 I checked the “Force Showing Hidden Files” but it still doesn;t work for me. Actually I am using SFTP (SSH connection) and this menu might be for FTP connection only…
    Any idea?

6. Doogie says

It should work as long as you are on a Unix or Linux server and have an .htaccess file to view. It will not work with Microsoft servers because they do not use that type of file. Not all servers have an .htaccess file. You may have to add one if you wish to do server overrides or want to use mod_rewrite.

7. Lee Rhodes says

FireZilla 3.4.0 on OS X 10.6.7:

Cannot show hidden files when trying to configure SFTP:

FireZilla > Preferences > Connection > SFTP > Add keyfile…

Brings up a Finder window but NOT showing hidden files, even though

$ defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

has been set.

Changing to a different text editor doesn’t work either.

Since the SSH keys are stored in a hidden directory, .ssh, I can’t point to them. And even though SSH_AUTH_SOCK is set, FileZilla doesn’t seem to recognize it.

8. Daniel says

There is no (longer) an option to show hidden files in the Server menu, but on my version, you can go to:

> Edit > Settings > Interface settings (in the tree list) > Remote file list

In this box, you have a “Always show hidden files” which is unticked by default.

Cheers,
    Daniel

9. Erick F. says

If you know the file name, you can specify the full path of the file and perform a manual transfer. If you are downloading, select Download in Transfer Direction. Specify the local file name which should be the same as the remote file name. The only difference is the path. Example.

Local File: C:\User\Computer\Documents\filename.gz
    Remote File: /incoming/foldername/filename.gz

Select Binary transfer in Data Type.

Select Start transfer immediately and click OK.

Sometimes you have to hit “process queue” to kickstart the download/upload just an FYI.

10. Nick Saparoff says

In version 3.5.2, Server->Force Show Hidden Files. It works! For OSX you may also have to change finder to show hidden files as well. Also make sure your filename filters are disabled for “Configuration Files”

11. John Rennpferd says

Thank you! I was having a situation. My normal go to instructor is not available and the text file of instructions is practically gibberish! This just saved me loads of time. Thank you!

Trackbacks